I opened a package of wonton wrappers last week to make “Italian wonton cups”… not very Italian, but I was left with more than half a pack still to use, so tonight I made Chicken Wonton Tacos (based on this recipe from Heart, Mind & Seoul)… not very taco-ish, so I’m on a roll. 😛 It was still a quick, easy and yummy recipe, just you watch and see.
Preheat oven to 400°
Mix barbecue sauce, Ranch, cheese, cilantro, bell pepper and red chili paste (or red pepper flakes… or both, which is what I did, after mixing and tasting) in a medium bowl.
Add cooked, shredded chicken.
Mix it up!
Fill wonton wrappers with 1-2 T of filling and pinch corners together.
Drop favorite, midsize Pyrex bowl on the floor.
Clean up your mess, and start over! (Yay! My favorite part, for sure… but you could probably leave that last step out and have them turn out just fine. 😉 )
In this second batch, I increased the red chili paste to 1 t, because it didn’t seem at all spicy at 1/2 t (it didn’t with 1 t, either… oh well). I also didn’t have any more bell pepper. 😦 In the end, I liked the flavor of the first recipe better (yes, we did get to taste that first batch, at least… those 2 mini tacos pictured above), so I added bell pepper to the recipe directions below.
Spray the filled tacos with cooking spray and bake 10-12 minutes (or just to perfection 🙂 )
As you can see in this picture, because the corners didn’t like sticking together, I just had to roll a few of them into… you guessed it! Mini chicken burritos. 😛
Baked Chicken Wonton Tacos
Yield: 8-14 mini tacos/rolls
Prep time: 15-20 mins (unless you have to start over)
Bake time: 10-12 mins
Bake temp: 400°
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked
- 1 T barbecue sauce
- 2 T Ranch dressing
- 2 T Mexican cheese (or your best estimate… I’m pretty sure I used more 😉 )
- 1 T Chopped cilantro, or to taste
- 1 t red chili paste (or 1/2 t + a sprinkle of dried red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- Wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray
- Cook your chicken, and preheat the oven to 400°.
- While chicken is cooking, combine the rest of the ingredients (except wrappers and cooking spray 🙂 ) in a medium bowl.
- Shred the chicken and mix it with the rest of the ingredients.
- Place 1-2 T of filling into each wonton wrapper and pinch two corners together.
- Spray the mini tacos with cooking spray and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Enjoy with avocado or other taco fixings, if desired.